Pickard Chilton is looking for an Architectural Model Designer and Fabricator to join our studio and model shop team in New Haven, Connecticut. Architectural Models and Mock-Ups are a vital piece of the studio’s design and communication process across all phases of the project development. The ideal candidate will have an interest in supporting this effort, building their personal design and fabrication skillset, and solving problems spatially.
The Model Designer and Fabricator will be working daily alongside the experienced model shop staff to create architectural models across a variety of mediums and project phases. The candidate will also work with the architectural design teams to understand design intent and realize architectural designs physically in model form. This may include physical fabrication of models and mock-ups, the conversion of digital models into files prepared for physical fabrication, and digital modeling to benefit both architectural design and model shop teams. This role has the opportunity to expand over time and with candidate interest. An ability to manage work on multiple projects and project tasks simultaneously while coordinating and communicating with the model shop and architectural design studio teams is essential.
With roughly 50 studio members from more than a dozen different countries, our studio is enriched by the unique skillsets and perspectives each designer brings with them, and successful candidates will welcome that atmosphere. Our work includes high-rise commercial and residential, masterplanning, lab / research design, and campus architecture among others; all with a focus on sustainability, contextual design, and a human-focused approach. Our studio is driven forward by individual interest and skillsets and we fully support members of the studio pursing new areas of exploration that will improve the way our team works.
- Design and fabrication of physical models across a variety of mediums
- Working with a variety of tools from 3D Printers / Laser Cutters to Power and Hand Tools
- Coordination and Advising of architectural design teams in model production
- Translation of digital models into cutfiles / printfiles / shop drawings and into physical models
- Organization and Maintenance of model shop and equipment
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- 0-5 Years of experience in a model shop, woodshop, furniture design, or sculpture studio
- A degree in Furniture Design, Industrial Design, Sculpture or Architecture is preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and be highly organized
- An eagerness to learn as well as bring their unique experience/background to our team
- Interest in expanding the production toolset of the studio and driving model design methods forward
- Experience with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with Revit or Rhino a plus
Learn more about our model shop in our recent Perspective: Bringing Complex Ideas to Life.
Interested candidates should email a letter of interest, resume, and work samples to email@example.com.